Monday, September 28, 2009

Is Industrial Design Dying?

I read Jon Kolko's blog on his return from the IDSA National Conference in Miami last week and was amazed at his entry. His comment about how ID (industrial design) is dying is quite interesting.

He states that with the development of new materials, process, and manufacturing that we, designers are becoming more and more a secondary part of the development process.

"The complexity associated with new material introductions and advances has such deep tacit knowledge, and such strong connections to fundamental issues of chemistry, that it can't continue to be "owned" by designers - it needs to be managed and coordinated by scientists".

I haven't had to deal with this personally, but I agree. Since I have left school , there has been a tremendous advancement in materials . I remember when Cologate introduced their multi-component/ multi-colour toothbrushes back in '98. That was a huge step in in our field. We are now able to achieve multi-color designs in one injection. I can only imagine what s going to happen in the next 20 years.

Enjoy the article after the jump.

ARTICLE

No comments:

Post a Comment